Students, Staff Adopt Pets During Quarantine

Freshman Henry Reeves adopted a pitbull who is now eight-years-old, named Storm. “We got her from the Stray Rescue of St. Louis, they’re a great organization and they rescue mainly pitbulls,” said Reeves.

According to the American Pet Products Association, Americans spent a combined $72.56 billion on their pets in 2018.  Unsurprisingly, this American obsession with pets hasn’t shrunk, if anything it has grown. Over the past months during quarantine, people have been entertaining themselves by either adopting or rescuing new pets. Many students and staff at North have adopted pets that they now love and adore.

“I bought a bearded dragon named Azul. I saw him at Petco and thought he looked cute and interesting, so I took him home,” said freshman Cynthia Kirk. “Since I bought him, I’ve been a lot happier and my mood has improved a lot.”

Adopting from stores is not the only way to acquire a pet. There are many animal shelters scattered across the United States. Near Maryland Heights, the Humane Society of Missouri is a great place to rescue a pet and bring them to their permanent home. 

“My dog is a pitbull named Storm. She likes to act stupid, but she’s so loving. I love my dog because she makes me feel the purest form of joy and love,” said freshman Henry Reeves, who adopted their dog from Stray Rescue of Saint Louis.

Along with adopting and rescuing from shelters and pet centers, some people take care of animals that have been abandoned or abused. Even though it may take more time and effort than it would with other pets, some people are prepared for the journey.

“I am the owner of a tabby cat named Tiger Lily. My friends’ son found her all on her own on the side of their yard at the end of April.  She was only 4 weeks old. I have learned that this situation is referred to as being a “singlet.” That means that she got separated from her litter at a young age. She is a good girl, but can be a little sassy,” said art teacher Christa Ollinger.

Besides adopted pets, people are helping animals in need by fostering them. Since people have more time and are home more, they have more time to care for animals and want that connection.

“I’m fostering two kittens, one is black and the other is white with spots. I started fostering animals when I was a freshman because I loved the idea of being able to do some kind of volunteer work. I ended up not having any kittens for the past year and a half because I got very busy with cheer, work, and school,” said junior Liv Epstein.

Adopting and rescuing pets in 2020 can be done in many ways. Students and staff at North are very diverse when it comes to the way they adopt new pets. Whether it’s adopting from shelters, breeders, rescue centers, they can all help keep pets safe and healthy. Having a pet is a lifelong commitment, so be prepared for the long and golden path ahead.