North Students Prepare to Take ACT

In addition to online resources for ACT prep, students are able to use real practice tests. Practice tests like these can be purchased in bookstores, online, or for free in the Counseling office.

On April 2, the Parkway district will administer the ACT test to the freshman, sophomore, and junior classes. Juniors will be taking the ACT in the upper gym, whereas freshmen and sophomores will take practice ACTs in classrooms sorted by grade level. To prepare for the testing, some classes have begun reviewed content they anticipate to be on the test, and labs have been working on preparing for the testing process.

“In English 3, we’re prepping them by going over all the grammar that’s going to be on the ACT,” said English teacher Scott Kreher.

Kreher’s junior lab just recently filled out paperwork for the ACT, and he feels that made students realize how close the test was.

“I think it made it very real for some people, filling in all the bubbles and all that stuff, and they have a bunch of questionnaires,” said Kreher. “I’ve never seen a class so tense as them being in that multipurpose room filling in those bubbles.”

Students have used this time to study for the ACT using notes they’ve taken to review class material.

“I’m looking through my math and science notes, and I am reading up on vocabulary for English,” said sophomore Aneela Hawk.

Aneela appreciates the practice ACTs because they give her an idea of what to expect on the real test.

“It shows me what the actual ACT is going to be like, so I get to see what the format is and what the questions are going to be like so I can prepare better,” said Hawk.

North has encouraged students to do test prep outside of these ac labs and the required practice ACT tests.

“We have encouraged them to do online test prep. Some students have been in an ACT class here at school…Online, Parkway has purchased a program called testice that they have their own account for that they can log in to,” said junior counselor Anne Kraus.

In addition to online resources, Kraus recommended students to study their core classes, considering that the ACT tests math, English, reading, and history subjects.

“Honestly, just working hard in all their core classes is going to be the best prep,” said Krauss.

Juniors will be checking in at 7:15 a.m. Seniors, who don’t have to take the test, will be able to attend the senior picnic, hosted by North at 10:30 a.m. at Creve Coeur Park.