North to Host Flu Shot Clinic

Flyers are posted around the school providing information on the flu shot drive happening on October 20.

According to a 2018 study from the Infectious Diseases Society of America, on average 8 percent of the United States population catches influenza each year, and children under the age of 18 are more than twice as likely to develop flu symptoms than adults.
To combat this, on Wednesday, Oct. 20, North will be hosting a flu vaccine drive.
“We usually do the flu shot clinic in an attempt to provide wellness for students and staff,” said school nurse Dana Lindenmann. “Students don’t have to sign up [for the drive] It’s in the multipurpose room from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. for students and 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. for staff.”
The flu shot clinic provides a source for busy students and staff to receive a quick dose of the vaccine without taking too much time away from class. Students may participate in the flu shot clinic regardless of age if they have a parent/guardian consent form.
“I do think it’s a good thing that the school is going around and giving kids shots,” said junior Jay Phillips. “It’s important because some people don’t have doctors to get the shots that way.”
With COVID-19 still being prevalent, it is highly encouraged to take the necessary precautions to be safe during flu and COVID season.
“We want to do something to minimize our time out of school and maximize our time in school, so something like a flu shot would prevent people from having to take a lot of days off,” said social studies teacher Bob McKitrick.
While no vaccine is 100 percent effective, people who get a flu shot are less likely to get the flu and will have less severe symptoms if they do get it.
“It’s the right, healthy thing to do. It keeps you safe and helps prevent a pretty serious disease,” said McKitrick.
The drive is free of charge to students and staff. It is especially highly recommended by the CDC to get the flu shot.
“It’s a great way to keep both yourself and your community safe,” said Lindenmann.