Rock, Paper, Scissors, CODE!

Computer Science Honors Society hosts Computer Science Festival

Sophomore+Dominic+Hudson+has+a+good+time+learning+how+to+code+during+the+Computer+Science+Festival.+Photo+by+Kennedy+Williams+

Sophomore Dominic Hudson has a good time learning how to code during the Computer Science Festival. Photo by Kennedy Williams

On Nov. 21 and 22, the Computer Science Honors Society helped spread the joy of coding by hosting the The Computer Science Festival in the library. The event returned for the first time since 2019.

“Honestly, I had more fun than I thought I would’ve,”participant  junior Drew Waggener said. “At first, I thought this wasn’t something I’d find interesting, but after giving it a chance, I changed my mind.”

The Computer Science Honor Society has been helping spread awareness of computer science through intense RPS matches, rover challenges, and even dances during math blocks the entire year. Students were taught how to use TinkerCad, 3D print, and even write codes for TI Innovator Rovers.

When the CSHS first started, they began looking for ways they could share their knowledge to be interesting to others. Some of the club members believe the more widespread computer science interest is, the more the society will grow.

“As the world gets more integrated with computers and technology, I feel like the knowledge of computers is going to keep growing,” CSHS senior president Avanindra Dubey said. “So, I think it is a very important thing that everybody has at least a basic education on computers.”

Parkway holds STEM days like these in order to prepare students to be successful in the future. Computers have become a part of everyday life, the more expertise and skill learnt in the classroom will directly affect life beyond school.

“I think it is important that we spread our message to our younger citizens of our school,” CSHS senior Kalyan Krish said. “We hope to move together and pioneer through this field of science.”

For people who are interested in digging deeper into this career field, The CSHS hosts their meetings in room 2320 every Thursday afternoon.

“It’s a welcoming society,” Dubey said. “You all are welcome, and we’re very excited to just code and learn more about computers.”