The Student News Site of Parkway North High School

Norsestar

Norsestar

Norsestar

Student Versus Staff Kickball Game Ends In Student Victory

Students bundled up on Nov. 3 to watch the students beat the staff in kickball after a two-year winning streak held by the staff. Audience members paid $1 which benefitted the Siteman Cancer Center.
Social studies teacher Andy Rudolph warms up while talking to the Referees. He would later join the rest of his team in group warmups.
Senior Eli Tritinger gets together with the team to prepare for the game. Talking together, the students begin to warm up and strategize.
FACS teacher Becky Samardzic holds up an “L” for “loser” to senior Xzavier Lewis, confident in a victory for the teachers. In the spirit of friendly competition, Lewis also responds back with an “L”.
Senior Dylan Campbell runs from second to third, and eventually home. This grand-slam run would only increase the students’ lead.
Senior Keylan Mitchell lays on the ground in the middle of the outfield while the teachers are on the offense. This further heightened the friendly competition as the teachers started to close the students’ lead.
Athletic Director Josh Martin hurries to assist Assistant Principal Dr. Mike Rizzo in catching the ball. After some back-and-forth fumbling of the ball, the duo succeeded in getting the out.
The teachers celebrate a run made by Andy Rudolph. This run made them one step closer to beating the students. “It felt great to feel the team’s support,” Rudolph said. “We got off to a rough start in this game, but we rallied as a team and were able to rally back and make the game competitive.”
Care Coordinator Adam Ketcherside slides into third with Eli Tritinger on his tail. After some debate in a challenge call by Tritinger, it was concluded that Ketcherside was safe.  “They got mad at a couple of calls but that’s the fun part. Making the right calls and them getting mad at me,” referee and math teacher Jordan Sampson said. “They thought I was helping the staff, and I wasn’t. I was making right calls. Unbiased.”
Ultimately, the students beat the teachers 13 to 7. The reward was a cookie cake which the students held as a trophy for their victory. “We played our hardest and we gave it our all. For us to come out today in the cold weather and celebrate the kickball student versus staff game, I feel like as a community we made it better,” senior Xzavier Lewis said.