The Student News Site of Parkway North High School

Norsestar

Norsestar

Norsestar

Student Amber Mohr wins course guide cover art contest

Sophomore Amber Mohr wins the course guide cover art contest with her classic design. “I wasnt expecting to win to be honest, but it was nice that I did,” Mohr said.
Sophomore Amber Mohr wins the course guide cover art contest with her classic design. “I wasn’t expecting to win to be honest, but it was nice that I did,” Mohr said.

As a project in Digital Design I, sophomore Amber Mohr drew and designed the winning course guide cover art. The design will be featured on the cover of the 2023-24 course guide covering out in January. 

“Amber is a very focused student. She cares about her craftsmanship. She’s really creative…and she works really hard and has some artistic talent,” Design Arts teacher Christa Ollinger said. 

Students in all three Digital Design I classes participated in the contest and had approximately one week to create their designs. In total, there were 54 entries.

“The [other designs] that I did see in my same Digital Design class were very creative,” Mohr said.  

Teachers in the art department selected seven potential designs and then asked the rest of the staff to pick the winning design out of those seven. 

“I think that what we were looking for was that it was representing Parkway North, and it was showing different aspects about the school,” Ollinger said. 

While Ollinger enjoyed all of the entries, she agreed the winning design had merits.

“I think this design is very nice to look at. It’s an immaculate looking design meaning it’s easy to view all the different details,” Ollinger said. “It’s pretty symmetrical…and it has a nice, formal balance.”

Mohr agreed and said that an old academy look inspired her design. 

“I personally liked that old academy kind of look with the plate and banner, so I just combined that with our school’s theme and it ended up working out,” Mohr said. 

Even though she won the contest, Mohr said that she does not like digital design but prefers other creative outlets. 

“I actually don’t really like digital design even though I’m good at it because of how complex it is, and I’m not really into drawing as much as I am into crafting and making my own unique things,” Mohr said.

Students and parents will be able to see the final cover when course registration begins in January.