The Student News Site of Parkway North High School

Norsestar

Norsestar

Norsestar

New 3D Printer Available To Parkway North Students

Students watch a tutorial of the printing program they will be using to make their creations with the new 3D printer. Librarian Brigid Dolan walks them through the process.

A new resource has become available for the students of Parkway North High School. The 3D printer, a machine that can print various creative works, is now located in the library.

“I think it’s a great thing because specifically for projects, students are taught to make stuff with clay and stuff like that, but that’s kind of a conventional approach.” junior Bhavya Agarwal said. “As we are heading into the real world, I think students should be exposed to the real scenarios, like real instruments, which we have today. And if we are able to use 3D printing in making the most basic projects, it would be a great idea.” 

Students who are interested in learning more about the printing process, and who want to print their creations, will undergo training and meetings during Ac-lab in the library.

“I was actually always interested in 3D printing, but I really did not get an opportunity ever primarily because I did not have training, and I wanted a hands-on training where I could experiment and make some mistakes,” Agarwal said. “The moment I came to know about this class, I was so excited, and then I signed up.” 

By watching tutorials and receiving assistance from fellow student experts, the students will be using a program called Tinkercad to create their work and then will export it to the librarians and experts through a google form, who will send it to the printer to print. 

I decided to help because I own a 3D printer, and I understand the fun of being able to print your own things and would like others to be able to enjoy it as well,” freshman Nate Kershman said.

Even the librarians themselves are learning about this process.

[The best thing about this process] is learning, and Ms. Wiley and I putting our heads together also. My favorite part is getting help from kids because they’re the experts. I had a kid help me set it up,” librarian Brigid Dolan said.

With this new resource available, this will aid in creating potential career opportunities and technological experience for students.

“The whole thought process that goes into designing it, using the software…I’d love to have them kind of work with peers in sort of editing, revising, and problem-solving. It’s a big piece of it. So I think that’ll help in college and any kind of career they go into,” Dolan said

The next meeting will be taking place during Ac-lab on March 1, 2024. If interested, please contact Brigid Dolan in the library or keep up to date on library events through @pnhlibrary on Instagram.