The Student News Site of Parkway North High School

Norsestar

Norsestar

Norsestar

Parkway North Baseball Team Prepares for New Season

Kaylee Navales
Sophomore John Knehans and juniors Samuel Thomas and Jackson Madison run drills during a practice session. The team meets frequently to prepare for their games which begin March 15.

On Friday March 8, the baseball team was supposed to kick off their season with their annual baseball jamboree. Unfortunately, the jamboree got rained out making their first game on March 15 even more anticipated.

“I was sad about it because I thought it was going to be my first game as a freshman. so I could see how the upperclassmen play so I could match their energy on the field,” freshman Christian Washington said.

Last year, the baseball team’s record was 2-30. They are looking to do better than last year and look to go positive this year.

“Last year wasn’t the best for us… we were missing key players,” sophomore Monte Montgomery said. “This year, we are looking better with our players and new freshmen.”

Baseball has been doing a lot of different workouts this year compared to last year to improve their game like more conditioning and strength training.

“The practices have been completely different from last year. We’ve been running a lot, and we have also gotten way more field work like outside fielding,” senior Darius Randle said

Baseball is very different for freshmen than what they’re used to too; it’s usually more unorganized and less competitive at the elementary and middle school level.

“Practice has been different because how I used to play in 8th grade is completely different,”  Washington said. “We run and work way more, and the drills are also more organized than 8th grade and years before that,” Washington said.

This is the seniors’ last season, so they want to go off with a bang and end the year strong with a positive record.

“I’m kinda nervous and excited for my last year of baseball in high school,” Randle said. “I want to go to the end of my year going positive and possibly winning state if that’s not out of reach but at least just to go positive.” 

Their first game on March 15 is against Francis Howell North who beat them last year 15-5 and were 8-23 for the season.

“Francis Howell North is going to be a tough opponent. They beat us last year so this year we’re looking forward to getting the win and securing the first win of the season,” Monte Montgomery said.

The team is looking for redemption and hopes to start the season with a win.

“I feel like the [first] game is going to go well because of the work we’ve been putting in recently. It’s just been really hard, and they’ve been putting us to the test to see how far we can go,” Washington said.