PNH Varsity Cheer Places Third at State

Varsity cheer squad celebrates placing third in MCCA Game Day competition, This is the second time the competition has been held since quarantine.

On Feb. 19, the Parkway North varsity cheer squad placed third overall at the Missouri Cheer Coaches Association (MCCA) Game Day Competition. Taking the competition by storm, they performed three different routines against 14 other teams.

“We did really good. I actually thought we would place higher than we did, but I’m so proud of my team,” Dunlap said.

Last year, the team placed first overall in the state and was very excited to compete again. Even though they placed third this year, members of the team were pleased with their hard work.

“I thought we did great despite getting third place because we all tried our hardest,” Grace said.

MCCA Game Day Competitions have three different events: Time Out Cheer, Fight Song, and Band Chant. Parkway North cheerleaders placed second in Time Out Cheer and Fight Song, as well as placing fourth in Band Chant. To achieve such scores, the cheer team started preparing weeks prior.

“We practiced for weeks and put in a lot of work, so I think that’s what we showed no matter what we placed,” sophomore Sherlyn Torres said.

Though the team has been competing in Game Day competitions for years before Covid-19, the team did not resume competitions until February 2022. Many members were new to varsity, while others had not been able to compete due to quarantine. Out of 12 members, seven had not ever competed prior to this year.

“Me and my teammates who have [competed] before tried to cheer up the others and calm their nerves. We all just try to support each other,” Bryant said.

Besides being recognized at the State level, students at North also recognize the work that the cheer squads do despite the lack of acknowledgement.
“[The cheerleaders] always hype everyone up around the school, and I wish that their competitions were more broadcasted so [the student body] could support them too,” White said

For some members of the varsity cheer squad, 2023 is their last year competing in high school competitions.
“This is my last year and I was expecting to do better [in the competition] but this is my favorite team I’ve been on,” Huffman said. “I’ll definitely miss them and all the memories we have made together.”