The Student News Site of Parkway North High School

Norsestar

Norsestar

Norsestar

Girls Swim Team Welcomes Two New Freshmen

The North Swim Team yells before their game to hype up each other and get them ready for their meet against Pattonvile and Hazelwood West. This year, two freshmen have joined the team and will compete in meets with the team.

Girls Swimming is starting fresh this year with two new freshmen: Caroline Strobel-Henry and Katie Peter. They had their first meet on Monday Dec. 4 after  training for three weeks before that.

Strobel-Henry has been swimming since she was four, following her big brother who also was a North swimmer for many years. She started at Robinwood swim team in preschool and continued. She enjoys swimming since she’s stuck with it for so long and continues to want to swim for the future.

Peter is the other freshman on the North swim team. She’s been swimming since she was six and loves it. She started swimming in her neighborhood summer swim team, and is now in competitive swimming.

“I love my team and my coaches. I would love to continue swimming for North if competitive swim doesn’t get in the way,” Peter said.

Strobel-Henry wants to continue swimming up to senior year and hopes to beat her time with a flip turn on the 3rd lap.

The swim team is a big commitment. Before the season started, they would go to the weight room every Wednesday and Thursday before school. Once the season started, they practiced every day after school and every Saturday morning.

“The workouts are pretty intense, but it’s a good amount of sets for our sport,” Peter said.

To help build a stronger team in the water, the team has to work well out of the water too and the North team definitely does. Usually the team goes out after different practices or meets. The first time they hung out after Saturday practice was to go to Denny’s. 

“I really like my team. I enjoy hanging out with them and talking,” Strobel-Henry said. 

Last year, Strobel-Henry had to decide between basketball and swimming. It took her a while to officially decide, but she had to think about what she loved more and was better at. In the end, she knew that swimming was what was good for her. 

The new members will compete with the team at their next meet against Parkway Central and Parkway West is on Dec. 19 at North.