The Student News Site of Parkway North High School

Norsestar

Norsestar

Norsestar

Choirs Perform at Annual Coffee House Performance

Juniors Samantha and Miranda Platke, Evie Blue, Isabelle Evri, Eva Jansen and senior Koo perform ‘Coffee in a Cardboard Cup’ at the Coffee House event on Dec. 14. All three choirs performed and Northern Lights sold homemade goods to benefit the Choir’s New York trip in the spring.

Choir kicked offfthe holiday season with their annual Coffee House event on Dec. 14 at Parkway North High. All three of North High’s choirs: Concert Choir, Concert Chorale, and Chamber Choir performed along with many soloists and ensembles.  

Sophomore Sydney Williams performed the song “Don’t You Worry ‘Bout a Thing” by Stevie Wonder. The amazing solo had the crowd on their feet by the end of it. 

“I was so nervous; it’s just jitters,” Williams said. 

Williams prepared with a lot of practice and help from Kim Roback and Paul Cereghino, the choir directors at Parkway North High. They worked with Williams to focus on her ability to perfect high notes and techniques to get her best performance. 

“I felt really good. Everybody in the choir and at school is really supportive, no matter how good or bad you do,” Williams said.

Another soloist, senior Eli Jones, performed ‘Listen’ by Beyoncé.

“I got comfortable with it. I listened to Beyoncé sing it, listened to covers, and read the lyrics. I needed to see how it resonated with me,” Jones said. “I sing a lot, usually in my room, I sing it over and over again until it sounds right.” 

Having over 100 guests in attendance applied a bit more pressure and made it a bit of a nerve-racking night for everyone involved in the choir. The directors wanted to support all of the ensembles and soloists, and wanted it to go as smoothly as possible.

Jones mentions how anxious he was before his performance because of “friends and unexpected special guests” who were in the crowd to support the program. 

Volunteers also brought in baked goods along with hot cocoa and coffee, which were being sold at the Northern Lights cafe for just one dollar. The money benefitted the Choir’s New York trip to participate in a performance in the spring. 

“The energy was very positive, everyone was really excited and enjoying it,” freshman Nia Bryant said. 

The Choir Coffee House happens every year, so make sure to join in next time if you missed it this year.