The Student News Site of Parkway North High School

Norsestar

Norsestar

Norsestar

FBLA Club Members Compete to Advance to State

FBLA members arrive at SLU on Feb. 7 where they competed in over 30 events during their visit. Two students qualified for state.

On Feb. 7, the FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) club at Parkway North visited Saint Louis University to compete in over 30 different events, take a tour around the school, participate in community service activities, and attend a leadership conference.

Sophomores Michele Grinko and junior Gemma Fish both qualified for the state FBLA conference due to their placement in the competitions. Grinko got second place in computer applications and fourth place in healthcare administration. Fish placed fifth for business calculations.

“In December, we all take tests based on our events, so I had two events and then in February, we went on that field trip,” Grinko said. “We took a tour around SLU, we did workshops like how to write your resume or interviews and stuff, and then we ate lunch and had a ceremony where they announced who placed in what events.”

Other students did well in the competitions too. Juniors Elizabeth Korte and Alaina Friedhoff tied for fourth place in hospitality management and tied for fifth along with junior Katelynn Hatten for sales presentation.

While the competitions are a major part of the field trip, the students could do other activities too. Some examples are that they could work on their resume or interviewing. 

“My favorite part [of the FBLA] is definitely the field trip because it’s like the big thing, and I really liked touring SLU. I thought it was a really pretty campus,” Grinko said.

While the field trip is the main event of the FBLA, the club does have other activities.

“We make blankets every year for a charity or organization that Mrs.Hertlein picks,” Grinko said. Herlein is a business teacher here at North and has been the sponsor of Parkway North’s FBLA club for 16 years.

“It was with FBLA and DECA. We all made hand tied blankets that we donated to families in the Parkway North area in need,” Fish said.

To be a part of FBLA and compete at the competition, students must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher and must be in a business class.

“My favorite part is just the people and the community. We all get along and everyone is super nice,” Fish said. “We all have a common interest in things. It’s just fun to talk to everybody who does FBLA.”

Fish and Grinko will compete in March in the state competition with a chance to compete in nationals in May.