The Student News Site of Parkway North High School

Norsestar

Norsestar

Norsestar

Parkway North Theater Department Performs “The Diary of Anne Frank”

The cast of Diary of Anne Frank performs the Hanukkah scene in act 1. Judaism is central to the themes of the story, which is very prevalent in this scene.

Parkway North High’s theater department performed a newly adapted version of “The Diary Of Anne Frank” by Wendy Kesselman on Feb. 21-23.

The cast had been rehearsing since November 2023, leading to the February performances. Unfortunately, one of the most important dress rehearsals for the show was canceled because of the unexpected snow on the 17th. With perseverance, the cast fit into a dress rehearsal on the 19th. 

Kara Niemeyer was the lead actor in the show, playing Anne Frank 

“The hardest part of having long rehearsals was keeping up the energy, but it was worth it, especially the strawberry scene – that was my favorite,” Niemeyer said. “It’s scary to be on stage and not mess up.”

Other students who rounded out the cast included junior Max Banashek as Mr. Frank, freshman Allison Brady as Mrs. Frank, senior Stephen Harrold as Peter Van Dann, freshman Riley Schoene as Mrs. Van Dann, senior Benjamin Valle as Mr. Van Dann, and freshman Cardin Todd as Mr. Dussel. 

Any play wouldn’t be successful without the behind-the-scenes work done by the tech and construction crews who built the set for this play. They build the whole set from the ground and direct the sound and lighting for each show.

“I am the co-lead for construction,” said freshman Miles Hines, who is in their second year of theater and first year in tech. “I helped with the spotlight for the tree performances and I also helped with props.” 

Besides setting the scene for the audience, the behind-the-scenes work also includes creating the costumes and getting props that propel the story and go with the period, like the strawberries in the strawberry scene, and fur coat worn by Mrs. Van Dann.

“It was a lot of fun and probably my most easy production,” junior Zahara Saunders, the head of the costume department and co-lead props said. She has been doing theater at North for all 3 years she has been here. “My favorite memory was the show nights and the circle we do before the actors go on,” Saunders said.

All three nights went smoothly, nearing a sold-out house on the last night. 

“It’s a fun way to hang out with friends and meet new people and have a space to decompress after a long of school,” Hines said.