The Student News Site of Parkway North High School

Norsestar

Norsestar

Norsestar

South Tech offers opportunities for students

As course selection time is approaching, students have to decide what classes they are going to take. One option for students who will be juniors or seniors next year is the South Tech program. South Tech is a program where students may select from a wide range of programs, from carpentry to culinary to health services and more. 

I feel like South Tech is a great opportunity for students who want to go into the tech field or don’t want to go directly to a university after graduation,” counselor Jean Dodge said.

Participating in South Tech allows students to learn about and experience different career pathways from experts in the field. They can experience internships and mentors leading to certification, college credit, and even a job after graduation. This is great for students looking to enter their chosen field without having the cost and time associated with post-high school education as there is no costs for students. 

“[South Tech] will allow students to get certifications that will let them go directly to the workforce, instead of going to a university…I always say go tour the school because when you go tour, you get to see all the different programs that are out there that are available,” Dodge said.

Programs are one-two years in length, so interested students should check how long the program they are interested in is before signing up. 

While South Tech offers experiences that may help a person, there are also other factors a student should consider when thinking about applying. Participating in South Tech means attending North for half of a day, losing most standard electives.

“It would be lit if I could do both. Yet, I still wouldn’t sign up, considering I would miss out on choir,” sophomore Tristan Gonzalez said. 

Students who opt to participate in South Tech take either morning or afternoon classes at North including any core classes or other requirements they need to graduate. This may include some electives, but being at North only part of the day limits the amount and type of classes available.

“If I knew about it earlier, I would probably enjoy it because it seems fun,” sophomore Levi Schulte said. 

There are still chances for people to sign up for the 2024-25 sessions by visiting your counselor or going to the site online to apply. This should be done before signing up for courses during course registration which will happen on Jan. 24.

Everybody doesn’t always know what programs are available because you only get exposed to what your family or friends tell you about. But there are so many other opportunities that are out there. You just have to go explore them,” Dodge said.